By Heleen Meyer
1. Pastry: Place flour, butter, cheese and sage in a food processor and blend until it resembles coarse breadcrumbs. Add cottage cheese and egg and blend until it forms a soft ball of pastry. Alternatively, rub the butter into the flour with your fingertips and mix in the rest of the ingredients to form a soft pastry.
2. Gently press pastry into a circle the size of a side plate and cover with plastic wrap. Refrigerate for 30 minutes or overnight.
3. Filling: Meanwhile, heat a thin layer of the olive oil over medium temperature in a frying pan. Fry bacon for a few minutes or until cooked, but not too crispy. Spoon out and set aside.
4. Add more oil to the pan, add the leeks and sauté for a few minutes until they just start to soften.
5. Add the apple wedges with the rest of the oil and sauté for a few minutes – the apples should still be firm.
6. Stir in the bacon and sage and season to taste with pepper – remember the bacon and cheese are quite salty, so more salt is unnecessary. Spoon out and allow filling to cool.
7. Preheat the oven to 200 °C. Spoon filling into a 24-28 cm, shallow tart dish. Sprinkle with cheese. Remember, the tart gets turned upside down later, so the filling should go in first.
8. On a lightly floured work surface, roll pastry out into a circle that is big enough to just reach over the edge of the tart dish. Place pastry over the filling and gently fold it in between the filling and the edge of the dish.
9. Bake for 30 minutes or until the pastry is golden brown. Allow to stand for a few minutes. Lightly loosen the pastry around the edge of the dish, if necessary.
10. Place a large serving plate over the tart dish and turn out in one quick move. The pastry will now be on the bottom, with the apple filling on top.
11. Garnish with rocket leaves and serve as a savoury teatime treat or light meal with a green salad.
Slow roasted pork belly with Pickled Pink Lady® apples
Pink Lady® Apple and Pecan Buns
Baked Pink Lady ® Apple with Raisins served with a Brandy Orange Syrup topped with Cinnamon Yoghurt
Pink Lady® & Gruyère Focaccia
Make healthy living a part of your active lifestyle with Pink Lady® - naturally!
© 2020 Copyright Pink Lady®.
Developed by Solutions Desk